Monday, August 4, 2014

July's Pre-Race experience for Aquabike Full Part 1

July flew by twice the speed of June.  I focused on hills and swim technique.  I went back to Physical Therapy but with Active Release Technique this time.  Gino gave me a sample at the Aquathlon and almost completely removed a lump in my trapezius/scapula area.  For three years I have been fighting neck/shoulder pain from the bike.  I hate fitting PT into my workout schedule but nothing else helps.  I have ridden a few times over 100 miles.  My longest of 116 miles ended with a route up Torrey Pines hill at mile 108 and I nearly blacked out from the pain.  It has been on my mind all month while anticipating the Full Aquabike 112 mile route.  Chalk hill at mile 40.. no concern.  However, at mile 100 in 90 + degree heat..I am a BRAINWRECK!!  Mental Havoc!  I will take lots of meds, and use muscle rub every few hours to dull the pain.  If I could give birth 100x, I would choose that pain over this!  Think of an ice pick in your shoulder and such neck pain that you can't look down to your bento box for food!...now add heat and climb a couple miles and try not to black out!  My cycling route is below.  I will persevere each milestone!


I have been working on swim cadence tempo.  Be steady, pull strong.  I hope my tempo trainer has helped.  I have used it in the pool at 80 beats/min but couldn't hold it in the ocean with chop.  Moved it to 85 beats and a longer stroke.  I just want to be faster, yet efficient and feel like I could have kept going after I exit the 2.4 mile swim. 

I have added chiropractic care.  Had some xrays showing my spine is curved to the left.  My shoulder muscles pull to the left which causes the pain in my right shoulder.  My blood supply gets pinched at the back of the neck reducing blood supply while in aero.  Oh great.. chalk hill blackout nightmares again.  I have stretches and chin tucks to incorporate over 112 miles.  Be Brave.  Persevere...the last 10 miles will feeling like FREE AT LAST!!!

My run has been steady.  I have been running off the bike but that's really for IM Lake Stevens in August.  I plan to run one loop of the run course to see how I feel after 112 miles and use that knowledge for IMAZ training.  I know I am stronger.  I know anything is possible.  I need to be ready to take the good....with the ..bad. LAWDY!!!

 
 
 
*****************


REALLY??? THAT'S IT?? I. Am. ready. ??? .... Last swim. Crap. Here we go... YIKES!!!! We were lucky enough to get into a quaint bed/breakfast home only 2 miles from Johnson's Beach start line.  We flew into Sonoma County Airport and rented a car to drive only 2 miles from Windsor HS where the Expo and Bike ends or run starts for the triathletes. I have to say I thought the video requirement prior to getting your packet was a complete waste of time because I READ the athlete's guide.  Doesn't everyone do that?  I even watch an entire video of the bike course! No one was there to answer questions either.  How many buoys are there?  how will you know how to exit the swim since it's 2 loops nonstop?  I dumped my "running gear" by a shady spot for the run after my bike ride so I could quickly transition to an hour run afterwards and then browsed the shop.  I was sorely dismayed by the one Aquabike tshirt because it was in men's sizing and the small was huge.  I did buy the beautiful white/purple grape cycling jersey however and purple Vineman cap. This hopefully ensures I will endure this sufferfest to the finishline.  The Jersey must be earned. We then headed to the truckstop for Velotranz Tranzport which managed my tri bag and bike with expertise.  Only the front wheel is removed and it hangs on the inside of the protected truck.

 I quickly switched into riding gear for a 30 minute ride.  I decided to ride one loop of the full IM run course and then drive the first 6 miles of the cycling course.  I just wanted to see the most technical section of the course  at mile 5 with a sharp turn and escalation plus the next hill so there was nothing more to worry about.. except chalk hill at mile 100. I had decided to inject Orange gel sealant in my tires because Nytro said I was GUARANTEED no flat on race day with this lightweight goo.  Julie approved it instead of Pitstop although hesitant.  Within 9 miles, I had a flat. It had been 40 minutes while I was contemplating either adding CO2, changing the tube, or walking to the truck...and I looked up to see Marcus in the car... DAMN he is amazing!  He said, "you are 10 minutes late!! what happened!"  wow....I guess he knows I am pretty punctual!  He put the bike in the car and Karl patched the flat so I didn't use any of my repair kit.  The following morning the tire was still solid so the patch held as good as new.  He also cleaned my chain and tightened my top post as it was quite loose and could have been a real problem with my handlebars and front fork slipping during the race.  Karl saved me multiple times so I could not recommend his service without the HIGHEST REGARD!!

After the tire delay, I decided to skip the 20 minute run because it was getting late and steaming hot. I was secretly praying this would not be the same temperature on race day. We stopped at Safeway for some snacks and I recalled an athlete who had multiple injuries until regularly drinking coconut water so I grabbed a liter for race day instead of water with breakfast.  I made sure I had my cooling towel in my bike bag and "just in case" extra salt pills which I have never used in the past. I think these decisions may have saved my life !  I say:  Prepare for the WORST!!!

Our Bed/Breakfast Innkeeper at Santa Nella is a magnificent published chef. He provided a cold breakfast for the racers but otherwise an amazing breakfast was served at 9am.  Marcus was thrilled to return for this.  I had the pleasure of this amazing food post race day. 

I hadn't realized how similar Guerneville is to Hillcrest.  We have a wonderful meal at Betty Spaghetti.  It's quaint and entertaining and very social!  Multiple waiters wished me luck. Then off to bed with my nightaid pills by 8pm.  I don't know how people lay awake for hours before a race but I need to sleep so these OTC pills ensure a wonderful pre-race rest!  My bottles are made, breakfast and morning gear are laid out.  OSMO night drink is gone... ready for a great race day!!!!

Santa Nella Bed/Breakfast Inn


Dear Lord, please don't let Mother Nature melt me into the pavement tomorrow. AMEN. Good Night.








 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment