Tuesday, February 17, 2015

January- It's all about the ATTITUDE !!

I love triathlon training because I NEED variety and constant motion.  When I couldn't swim for 6 weeks, I had to change my attitude.  My coach didn't pause for a minute when I wanted to have a pity party and whine and cry about my tattoo infection and loss of the pool.  It's like she just pointed the child in me to a different shiny object and suddenly I was..ooohhhh aaaahhhh wowww hmmmm maybe I cannnnn run faster.  I ran more in December than I ever have before and I was still smiling! My new triathlon attitude started smiling over the Trifecta results.  I was seeing improvements in my speed.  I was getting out of my comfort zone. I wasn't in any pain.

Changing my attitude about running and about treadmills really made a huge difference.  I stopped saying I was too slow, too fat, too bored on the dreadmill, and never running a 5k because I'm not a sprinter.  I started running intervals and changing inclines and speed and testing my HR zones.  When I went outside, it was an extra treat and no longer the only way I would run.  My coach explained that running a 5k a month would get me out of my comfort zone because you would never run as fast as you could unless in a race.  My thought was... geez what a waste of time and money. All the driving, prerace, postrace time eating stuff, not to mention they are ridiculously expensive when I could run 3.1 miles for free anytime, anywhere.  Reluctantly, I agreed to sign up for the Rum Run 5k.


I had to warm up 1 mile in zone 2...geez I was practically walk/jogging...but my heart rate was always too high if I picked up the pace so I just did what I was told.  I was supposed to try to run mile one at 80%, mile two at 90% and mile three ALL OUT Fastest ever. hmmmm but wouldn't this hurt?  Coach says...run faster and it will be over faster.... well I guess that's a good point... but what if I'm too tired to do my other workouts because I gave all my energy into 3 miles?  I'm really good at holding back, just in case I need it later.  Always preparing for the what ifs....

Once we took off I tried to listen to my metronome cadence and run steady.  My previous stats said my strides were too short and my ground contact was too long.  I thought about my run mechanics a lot during this first  "race mile".  I tried to feel about 80% of my energy although I really didn't know what that was like.  Suddenly the first mile  marker arrived so I picked it up a little more and heard my heart beat a little faster.  I didn't stop at the water station like all my other 30+ half marathons.  I just carried a 10oz bottle with me because I thought I might need it, but this felt so different.  I was thinking while running!  Then the little incline showed up and my speed naturally dropped because suddenly I wanted to be comfortable.  But I saw a couple little girls in front of me and I stared at their big oversized shoes vs their little bodies.  These young girls (maybe 10 year olds) were flying and suddenly I was on their heels!

The blonde girl said she was sooo tired and the brunette girl just looked up at me with wide eyes.  I said to them,  "You aren't tired!  This is temporary!  You don't want a 51 year old to beat you right?  You need to hurry and think the boogie man is chasing you!"  The girls took off together and I chased them around the corner at my best sprint and soon the girls stopped again and were walking as I came up from behind again. 

"Come on girls!  We can do this! We can be the best we can be so let's go for it!" The blonde wanted nothing to do with it.  The brunette looked at her friend as I passed them both and I said, "I'm WINNING!"  A few seconds later, the brunette was by my side without her friend.  She looked up and said, "When is this OVER?"  I said to her , "As soon as we get to the big black and white sign with the #3, then we needed to run until we have nothing left to give because it would end very soon after that."  We sprinted together until we got to the sign and I said, READY SET GO!!!!

The little Brunette took off like a bolt and I chased her with all I could give.  She beat me and she won a medal in her division too!  It was super exciting to see that win for her.  And really exciting that my coach won the Masters Women's Overall division too.  And to my amazement,  I earned my first podium run finish in 3rd place!  Wow that WAS kindof fun and fast and...hmmm I wonder if I could have run faster?  I think I might like these little short bursts of pain.  Maybe I need to test my "perceived" limits and see what I can do!  I can't wait to see if I can run faster at the next 5k run!  Cardiff Kook 5k February 1, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment