Monday, August 20, 2012

2012 Ironman Oceanside 70.3

I should have documented my experiece at Oceanside 70.3 immediately, but I was in shock like a double edged sword into my heart.  March 30, 2012, I lost my most favorite job of my career -  a massive restructuring at LG Electronics where I had been employed for 5 1/2 years.  My job was sent to Korea. I was unemployed the day before attempting my biggest goal of my lifetime on March 31 - an ocean swim 1.2 miles, 56 miles of hills through Camp Pendleton , and 13.1 run - all within 8.5 hours.  I was hurting mentally before I even started on race day.... so 5 months later, I will try to put the pieces together so I can reflect before March 30, 2013 when I race my revenge.  Here's a quick preview of what it is like to race 70.3 miles in about 5 minutes (video from 2009) :

http://youtu.be/BOIQ9H_fniU

ARRIVAL TO THE RACE
My mom lives in Oceanside so we stayed the night so we were in close proximity, and you must arrive there about 4:30am. Coaches always say that it is always better to have more time than you need, than need more time than you have to minimize stress. The extra time allows for long lines at restrooms, traffic, body-marking, chatting nervously with others, and setting up your transition spot. This year, Oceanside had 2 transition spots.  I set my T2 spot up the night before so I went directly to T1. My race in Palm Springs really helped me understand how to race in the cold. The weather was overcast and misty so I knew it was unlikely to dryout on the bike after the 55 degree swim which can cause hypothermia. So, I added sticky hand warmers to the hoods of my bike and covered with a towel.  I added regular hand warmers inside my bike shoes, added toe covers and kept them under my transition towel to keep the heat in.  I wore arm coolers and calf compressions under my wetsuit so I could have this layer for the swim and the bike.  I transferred the heaters from my shoes to my back pockets of my trishirt for the bikeride.  I also wore 3 caps: thin latex to help keep hair dry, neoprene cap for warmth, and then the race cap. I loved my ProMotion 2mm booties which gave me superior warmth for my feet. These preparations absolutely made my swim/bike event the best it could be to beat Mother Nature.
WARMUP




I did all my swim practice at Bonita Cove because the beach entry to the first buoy is the same from the Harbor ramp to the first buoy at the race and this is the only warmup you get (about 200 yards) because you are not allowed to get into the water until just before the start . They will have all the athletes corralled by wave groups near the start and you can expect to stand there for at least 20 to 30 minutes. You won’t even get to touch the water with your toes until minutes before your wave starts! So I carried a small disposable water bottle with me right up to the ramp.  I ate a GU with a swig of water, since I hadn't eaten in a couple hours, and then a minute or so before entry, I poured all remaining cold water inside my wetsuit.  This loosened me up and eliminated the ocean ice water shock because the thin layer was already heating up against my skin before my entry.  It worked perfectly.  I had no hyperventilation due to cold water shock! I had a great casual swim to the start buoy and took a lot of deep breaths too! However, I could still hear my heart beating in my ears while I waited for the gun start.

SWIM





BOOM went the horn!!! More deep breathing required NOW!  I tried to just remain calm and start slow amongst the frenzy. However, women tend to really like their own bubble so I didn't feel any kicks to the body or pushing during the swim. The course turns are on the left, except the final turn of the swim, where you will turn right and go up the boat ramp you came down at the beginning of the swim. I breathe on my left side, so I saw the markings on the buoys about every 100M. I felt great until the turnaround at the mouth of the harbor toward the ocean.  It's like swimming inside a washing machine here.  I really tried to not stop the entire swim but I suddenly felt very nauseous and popped my head up. I felt like I was swimming in a different world!  No... it was just super choppy and I just had to fight the current and water in my mouth to get around the corner for  maybe a 1/8 mile with more kicking.  Then it was straight back to the boat ramp in much smoother water.  My goal was under an hour and was pleased with 53 minutes although that's quite slow for most swimmers. T1 Transition was about a 1/4 mile run to my bike but it was carpeted so it wasn't a problem.  It was exciting to see and hear all the cheering!  It made me so happy and proud that leg 1 was complete!
up the swim ramp, stripping during the transition run
BIKE
I prepped for this leg the most I think.  I finished 3 courses of stationery bike classes over 6 months with loads of intense strengthening bike drills during the week (90 mins 2x week) which was great since the days are so short during the winter months.  I rode long miles on the weekend too and completed a Century 100mile ride in February. I also took one Computrainer class which mimicked the bike course route for the race so I would know where the difficult hills would be on Camp P since no one can preview ride the course.  This was the most difficult training I completed.  You had 4 hours to complete the TV course.  You are trapped on your bike, locked into a trainer with electric nodes attached to match hill intensity by automtically changing your gears, and you are inside a sweat box nearly suffocating from body heat by you and all the others in class reeking of sweat.  You must pedal the entire course. There's no wind in your face downhill or coasting when you are tired.  It's just full-on intense riding for 56 miles with all your will and might.  It took all my strength to complete in 3:57.  I was scheduled to run immediately afterwards.  Instead I slumped into the shower, made it home nearly in a coma, and slept the next 3 hours.  I awoke in horror that I would never complete Oceanside because the bike portion was too hard.  I was told the computrainer was 20% more difficult and that I would be fine...still it totally blew away my confidence. I was crushed. I read blogs, listen to veteran racers, and I set up my plan to conquer the route. Fear WILLNOT paralyze me!






I was told the biggest test of the bike is not the distance or nutrition, but rather pacing skills. Because the first 26 miles are mostly flat, I just needed to save something for the back 24 miles, which will be rolling hills, with three challenging climbs. I also decided to slip on padded bike shorts over my tri shorts in T1 for the 56 miles for added comfort.  I'm really glad I did because I never did dry out on the course.  The extra layer was nice. I felt there was only danger on one downhill where in 2000, a rider was actually killed by riding at too high of a speed and losing control. This descent was marked with warning signs:  “Do Not Pass” zone. The speed limit on this hill is 25 mph. They had officials checking, so just make sure you control your speed.
 
 
I ate and drank a lot the first 25 miles. On the bike, the first aid station was at about 13 miles. The second aid station was at about 26 miles (right before the hills), and the final aid station was at about 45 miles after the last big hill. As I grabbed some nutrition on the flat, to the right I saw the first large, corkscrew looking climb, and my heart nearly stopped.  You need a strong mantra for this hill!  It's only about 1/2 mile but I think it's like climbing the ladder to reach God.  Midway, I knew I hadn't practiced sharp steep hills enough.  I tried Pacifica in La Jolla and fell because the slope was too much for me so my confidence was weak already.  My technique just wasn't there and my confidence disappeared up 1/4 mile, so I unclipped.  Yep, I walked uphill the remaining 1/4 mile of the hill, but not with my head down as I saw others riding up the hill.  I gave  myself permission to breathe now and pour it on for the rest of the bike ride.  I promised I would give 110% after I reached the top and that I did.  I clipped in at the top, vowed to practice hills like that a lot and get my revenge in 2013, and pedaled as hard as I could.  I beat my computrainer time by almost 30 minutes finishing at 3:31.  When I checked my time, I had a HUGE smile on my face. I DID IT!!!!  and I also realized I had given myself extra time on the run which I knew I would need.  My left foot/bunion/hammer toe was screaming mad and so the final discipline was going to be painful, but if  I can give birth twice without drugs, then I can run 13 miles with a little foot pain right?
Camp P 56 mile elevation chart. Enjoy the first 25. Survive the next 25 of hills.  Push through final 6 miles of headwinds.

Immediate sharp short hill out of T1
As you near the end of the bike, you arrive near the pier with a quick downhill The volunteers are great at getting people to slow down on this little strip of strand, BUT don't clip out because you have a sharp left UP hill ride to T2!  I just stood up in my pedals and rode up and over to get to the top. I had a great landmark to find my rack at T2.  I threw my bike in the rack and jammed all my bike gear into my bag, grabbed my garmin and took off for the run.  Thankfully the portapotty was directly in front of me because I was about to burst...wow I had drank a lot on the bike... that's good though right???  Suddenly while in the portapotty  I see I HAVE PADDED BIKE SHORTS ON!!! I practically fell out of the portapotty trying to get them off!  I started screaming at a volunteer who came running... I threw my shorts at him, screamed my race number and luckily - he put them in my bag for me as I took off running! I can't imagine running 13 miles in padded bike shorts like a huge diaper between my legs! Thank YOU Mr. Volunteer!!

RUN
Ok, I hate running. I hate my feet.  I hate bike/run bricks even more.  It's all just painful.  However, I switched to Newtons.  No, not on race day of course.  I had run a 10 miler in them and felt great on fresh legs and fresh feet.  UMMM I wasn't fresh. I poured myself into the bike.  My feet were pissed off and I paid dearly... not to mention... I had to pee... and peee... and peeeeee.  OMG 3x in 13 miles was a record for me.  I had run 26 miles and never peed once! and then the nausea came... I immediately stopped electrolytes and food to try to keep my bike nutrition within me.  My feet throbbed like I was landing on a bed of nails with every cadence.  I knew I just had to get to mile 8 by 3:08 pm for the cutoff and then I could walk the last 5 miles if necessary.   I was in agony. I walked/jogged constantly and swung my arms hoping to stretch my gait.  I looked forward and tried to get to little landmarks deliriously... see that light post... just run to that...see that 70 year old lady in front of you... just pass her...OMG another ramp?  My hips screamed, my gluts cramped, I had a helicopter in my stomach and for the first time in my life the thought of sugar made me sick....JUST LEAN FORWARD was my mantra.  Eventually I started taking in plain water and pieces of banana and felt better, well a little more alive...I walked through every aid station at every mile.  About mile 7 I think, I heard MOM!!!... I looked up like I was seeing a mirage!  It was my son Ryan who had been volunteering at the Kids Station and he had found me which of course made me just start bawling!!!  I said: I have to get to mile 8 for the cut off and he screamed it's right around the corner - LOVE YOU!!!  I'M PROUD OF YOU!!! I yelled at him:  I AM WALKING THE LAST 5 MILES !!! - as if this was all his fault!! He replied: NO PROBLEM!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!   then,  I couldn't see through the tears...or maybe the pain in my feet...until finally the mile 8 sign came into focus!  I yelled at Gina the race director!!! I made it!  I'm going to finish!!! AND THEN THE WALKING DEATH MARCH BEGAN...





I'm told the key to this run is very simple, RHYTHM! If you can maintain rhythm by being relaxed, but quick, you will do very well on this run course. If you run with poor mechanics, with your head down and pounding your feet loudly on the pavement, it will be a long day for you out there.  Those final 5 miles were like walking through wet sand while stepping on nails barefoot.  My technique was crap and my Newtons reminded me every single step! I want my Saucony's back.... I swore I was going to run A LOT more next time in my training.  Clearly my run base was too low to get me through 13 miles AFTER 4 hours of exercise.

Running the Oceanside Pier ramps in pain - faking a smile!
The most painful mental part of the run was seeing people finish the run while I still had the 2nd loop to go.  However, I got through it, in a death march with others along the way, leaning forward until I headed into the finish line on the strand and was greeted to sidelines full of cheering people.  Once I approached my Triclub Tent, my flood gates opened... I was near blackout pain in my feet, my breathing was super short and yet I was barely running.  I ran toward the noise because I couldn't see the light through my tears!  BUT I DID IT!!!  So, I'm now an unemployed half-ironman finisher. It's bittersweet but I will be back, better than ever, lessons learned, and hopefully employed by March 30 2013!

Sharon Chaix - my catcher at the finishline, draping me in my medal, and holding me up while we looked for a chair!
So happy to see my husband!








leaning into the Finishline banner

so proud of my Finisher's Medal

I gave it my all in 7:45 but I will return for revenge in 2013 with many lessons learned!



2 comments:

  1. You're my hero......a real super woman......can't wait for your next challenge.......Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have those challenging moments but it is the perseverance that counts!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete