Tuesday, August 7, 2012

April lessons

April immediately started off with a swim lesson TWO days after completing Oceanside 70.3 2012!  Jenny Caine was on the Olympic swim team that was boycotted in 1980 so she didn't compete and injuries prevented her efforts 4 years later.  I took one lesson a week and vowed to swim often to work on technique.  Clearly my left and right arms are not even siblings on the same body. What a mess... but hey I couldn't swim 25 yards 10 months ago and I survived 1.2 miles with time to spare so it only gets better and I'm not at rock bottom! April was my swim month.





April 15: so excited to ride with our son Ryan (who I repeatedly say he is 25 so he doesn't need to train.. JUST DO IT!)  We rode the Medio Fondo ride for his first 60 mile ride.  Hubby and I really enjoyed it and I had no idea how much food my son could eat at a SAG! Ryan hung with us pretty well until the last 10 miles when he stopped speaking to us and almost stopped pedaling because he was over it! We survived it, and with big smiles crossing the finishline together... my neck and shoulders were killing me... more on this later.

April 29: I trained all month preparing for the La Jolla Half...I did repeats up the inside of Torrey Pines.  Marcus continued to be plagued with achilles issues.  The weather was perfect and I was faster than I expected.  Still working on the best pad for my left foot.  Race was great. Shuttle transportation in a point to point race is a pain... waiting in a line with freezing sweat is never nice! I learned that hill training really makes a difference no matter how much you resist it or feel the burn! It just works... so keep it up.

1 comment:

  1. Here's my efforts for April, 2012. My focus on month 1 was swim improvement so I found a great coach with an endless pool. She really broke down the details for me.

    ReplyDelete