Monday, April 8, 2013

Bunion and Hammertoe Days 1 - 4


It's Surgery Day!!!

I planned the surgery date well in advance so I could get the first appointment because I hate starving and waiting.  We arrived at the Surgical Center at 6am.  My surgery started at 7:15 and would take 45 minutes.  Wow, seemed pretty quick for breaking 2 toes, inserting a pin, and shaving off a bunion but here goes....

Loads of sweet staff members explained everything and asked me loads of questions.  They wanted to know every detail of my life.  We soon felt like family and I changed into a beautiful lilac paper robe but with odd openings and a lining in the front...and great fuzzy purple socks too! Blood pressure and HR tested and all was good.  Took a pill which immediately made me a little sleepy.

We took a quick walk to the freezer locker... I mean surgery room.... Lordy is it 40 in here??? I laid down on the crucifix bed...arms straight out for lethal injections...I mean sleepy juice...and suddenly a vacuum hose was inserted into my robe blowing gentle warm air and then the warm fuzzy blankets laid over me...I was starting to drift off to heaven...when he said "you will feel a little pinch"...I wanted to say OMG I am dehydrated! don't hurt me!  You will never find my tiny veins...but I felt nothing and couldn't open my eyelids or mouth...all felt just wonderful...I heard mumbling .... then..."no her HR is fine...she is a triathlete" wow so glad we had that intro earlier about my RHR of 42.  I heard Dr. Bereter's voice, I heard a saw machine sound and then went blackout.

I wokeup when Dr. Berenter said thank you to everyone.  The timing was amazing.  I was rolled to recovery as I quickly awakened and had 2 cups of water and hot tea and graham crackers. Little bits of heaven!  I was out in no time and no pain with a well dressed foot.  But on an empty tank and dying for Subway's breakfast sandwich.  yea yea...ice and elevate 48 hours... I need food. NOW GRRRR

We drove straight to Subway and I went inside to get the sandwich. Yummy food....came home and fed the dogs, started gathering my things to plant myself with toys by the couch and noticed a stream of blood everywhere!...where is that coming from?  Oh crap, my foot is soaked!  RULE 1: do not get wet!  does that mean blood?  Called nurse and she said some bleeding was normal....soaked it up with paper towels around the foot.  It stopped.  Went to the bathroom and it started all over again.  I guess they mean elevate IMMEDIATELY??  More paper towels.  It stopped...no foot feeling so no pain so I never felt the blood leaking either!  Well the good news is I get to change the bandages Monday instead of Thursday!  I get to see the repairwork early!!!

Laying with my foot up for 3 days was HORRIBLE.  1 million TV channels and nothing to watch... So I mapped the bike route for SOMA...yea this is doable...way easier than Oceanside but I just might melt on the run.. need to plan ahead for that one... oohh I think I can fit in marathon training with SOMA!  Maybe Half Moon Bay Marathon instead of the Tikiswim at the end of September???

I stayed ahead of the pain meds for 2 days but they gave me a headache and nausea...by day 3 no pain meds. I felt better without them.  Went to a dog park for 2.5 hrs standing around. It felt great so I went to the gym for upper body work for an hour...What a great break! 

Monday Day 4 - 1st to the gym for stationary rowing for 30 minutes and stationary cycling (in the recliner type so more of a heel push) for 40 minutes.  Worked up a light sweat and went to Dr. Berenter's for the revealing and new bandages. 

WAAALLAAAA!  I love my beautiful left foot!


Dried Iodine and gauze make a nice cast - ok maybe a little blood too
All removed!  woohoo no more itching!


Dr Berenter is also the podiatrist for the Olympic
Training Center in Chula Vista


toes will relax - just positioning from bandages
Pretty amazing though - no bunion - straight toes!



Gotta go with TCSD BLUE!!!

1 comment: