Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bunions and Hammertoe - I'm over it. Part 1

Fear is paralyzing - I'm over it...

I've cancelled foot surgery 3 times.  My grandmother gave me these hereditary bunions...of course my mother has delicate beautiful size 6 model feet! It didn't skip a generation either because I gave them to my kids :( 

I have received cortizone injections to run a marathon, and for bruising my foot from heavy pronation and  hard impact workout classes, dissolving scar tissue injections for a neuroma that felt like electricution with every stride, swollen ankles and toes from extensive walking tours from vacation...the list is endless...my feet have been in pain for years...can't even count them so let's say my whole life!  I'm convinced all pretty shoes are made by the devil. I live with orthotics, moleskin and my hammertoe footpad like a lifeline.

I have pretty tough callouses on the bunions from rubbing on the sides of shoes while I run so I get them cut down regularly or they also can really be painful. Pedicures are required, not really a luxury for me.

Dr Jay Berenter at Scripps Memorial La Jolla has helped me with loads of temporary solutions.  He told me once I decide I can't do something, or the pain is too much, then  I will know it is time for surgery.  Not until the last couple years did the left bunion cause the hammertoe. He said it is caused by the bunion and the over-pronation as well.  So not only does the side of the shoe hurt but now the top and bottom?? A hammertoe basically is like a Flamingo's knee cap... the knuckle bends the wrong way and the scar tissue turns the joint into cement with the bone pointing at a 45 degree angle - out the top of the foot and through the ball of your foot - kind of like a nail.  I walk on the side of my foot so the nail doesn't shoot through the base of my foot like a sword unless I wear a footpad.  The footpad has an elastic band stretched over the knuckle forcing it flat (tolerable pain) and the extra elastic goes under the footpad to hold it tight with my weight.  yea, tranisiton is a pain in the ass.  the pad doesn't fit in my bike shoe. I have to take off the bike shoe and sock, put on the pad and sock, then running shoe.

After running a full marathon in June 2011, I decided the foot pain was far too great vs the reward. I said never again....then I found triathlons which would allow me to rotate foot usage. My first year of tri-ing was awesome but I learned I still love LONG.  Short distances are too fast and too painful on the foot.  With 10 months of experience (and increased pronation), the foot pain started to elevate and shots were required but I managed completing my first 70.3 although walking the last 5 miles in excrutiating pain which is about when the hammertoe arrived.  Running with a nail in your foot...well I'd rather give birth...to twins.


I went back to Dr Berenter and told him of my new problem.  He asked me to try the hammertoe foot pad and it was amazing.  It totally worked.  So again I postponed surgery.The pain was manageable. I ran 15 half marathons in 2012 with the hammertoe footpad, numerous olympic triathlons and my 2nd 70.3 race beating my run time alone by 36 minutes.

At the end of my 2nd 70.3 race, I had more energy to give and I wanted more. I was proud of my hard work but I revelled at those Ironmen with Mdot tatoos on their calves....I had tossed around goals for 2013 and I thought about a full marathon again, the full Aquabike, maybe IMAZ in 2014????  That was crazy talk.  Pounding for 70 miles is one thing but 140? Damn that one full Marathon hurt so bad. So then I realized what I really wanted was to run through my current limit without foot pain... I want to be limitless until IIIII want to stop and not let my foot control my exercise.... or my shoe choices.

So what if the surgery makes it worse or I have a new problem?  A pin, bone breaking and knuckle shaving?? OOMMGGG....Shut up Inner Voice! Face your fears! It's time to find out. I'm ready.


 
Part 2 will fill in the results of this timeline: (if all goes well)
 
First week: Surgery Thursday, feet up through Sunday. Aircast Saturday. Monday - start upperbody work at gym. No shower for 2 weeks - stay 100% dry.
 
During 2nd week: checkup appt to change bandage, light stationary cycleing stitches and pin for hammertoe are dissolvable but Dr removes knots.  Water ok by end of 2nd week. See you at the Cove!
 
4th week: can wear regular shoes
 
6th/7th week: light jog, road cycling
 
8th week: full run.  LET THE FULL TRAINING RESUME!! 
 


4 comments:

  1. Hope you heal quickly and fully in no time flat! Enjoy the rest time!

    ReplyDelete

  2. You are an amazing person.........who do you take after?..... have no fear......you can succeed in anything you try........you should write a book about your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you didn’t cancel it this time. Delaying the surgery can only mean longer suffering for you. Although this does not belong to the fatal conditions, having bunions still affects your daily life and can keep you from doing all that you can. How’re you doing now? Ryan@Wachtel Family Foot Care

    ReplyDelete