Monday, April 22, 2013

Bunion and Hammertoe recovery Day 11 - Day 18

Apr 15 - Apr 22 Recovery Day 11 - 18

Everything went well this week.  I doubled my mileage on the stationary bike.  My stitches were removed on Thursday.  That was the first time I felt any pain. One of the knots was buried into my skin so the stitch had to be pulled forward to clip the knot.  This stung quite a bit but it was only on one knot.  I was able to start pool swimming on Friday, day 15. 

I volunteered for 3 shifts at the ITU World Triathlon over the weekend, which ended up being a bit more effort than I anticipated.  I had to walk more due to road closures and the finishline shift required all standing time.  In addition to this, over seven days I worked out over 3 hours a day at the gym.  I've lost 5 1/2 lbs since April 1.  I will try to lose 4 1/2 lbs over the next 2-3 weeks.  I'm using MyFitnessPal to help me track and control my calories and ensure enough exercise to create a deficit each day.  Hopefully my body will cooperate.  However, these are the most difficult 5 lbs to lose and I have tried many times to lose them and not been successful.   I will try my best since dieting while endurance training is extremely difficult.

This week, I swam 2 miles, rowed 8.5 miles, walked the dogs 5 miles, stationary cycled 184 miles, and lifted weights for 2.5 hours. Total exercise hours this week was 22 hours.  This challenging week gave me a throbbing 2nd toe Friday through Sunday night. I had to ice my foot in the middle of each night.  I went to see Dr. Berenter Monday morning to check on the swelling and small lump on my second toe.  He said my foot looked better than most and prescribed 2 Margaritas!  I said "That would probably put me under the table!"  and he said, "EXACTY!".  Apparently, when my foot is throbbing, it means I need to cut back on the exercise!

I did learn that the dissolvable pin in the 2nd toe stays in place for 6 - 12 months.  This concerned me but he assured me I would be light jogging by mid to late May.  I have to start marathon training by June 1.

day 18 post surgery


pre surgery

Swollen but scar is healing well


If you are interested in watching Dr. Berenter perform a bunion surgery, here is a video link below on YouTube by Dr. Berenter.  There is no blood because they put on a tight tourniquet before surgery.  The video is about 19 minutes long.  Also is his facebook page discussing neuropathy laser treatment as well.

http://youtu.be/46tjf1ZPVa8

https://www.facebook.com/PodiatristSanDiego?ref=ts&fref=ts

Here's to hoping for less swelling and more weight loss next week!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the recovery and diet/weight loss plans are going well! Which marathon are you going to start training for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pleased to learn that your recovery is progressing so well

    ReplyDelete